meta - phorical / amphetamine

Stream of good chemicals, coursing through my veins, tickling my nerves.

Friday, September 17, 2004

Walking the path, without shoes.

Work = bad right? Well, while it really has been bad, its also been amazing.

Behind all the friviluous machinations that is corporate policy, and feeling like a number all over again, I feel like I've grown. The responsibilities are starting to load up, most of them good responsibilities. The type that you don't have to be a manager.

Way back when, when I was young and naive, (wait, I still am! :P) I told myself I would never stop being a techie. I'd much rather have my head buried in code than worry about managing a project or a team of people. That's changed. I'm feeling empowered, and revel in the opportunity to lead a team, impart knowledge on my peers, superiors and subordinates (damn, thats a terrible word).

Recently edocs gave me the opportunity to conduct a techinal interview with a potential new applicant. I felt more nervous than the applicant, but in the end it went off well. Its great to reach out on a personal level almost, not just: "Pass this parameter please".

I've also been doing some research into the possibility of running a school of sorts within edocs. HTML and CSS skills are lacking, so I approached the VP with a plan, which he accepted and wants me to do more research. Within a few weeks I should hopefully be running 2-hour-long courses on web standards related HTML and CSS to any edocs people who are interested. It's going to be challenging, but I'm looking forward to the opportunity.

Other than that, with Tai, the Senior UI Developer on his blog-driven 2 month sabbatical, I've had to take on a lot of the work he'd usually do. One such project is an internal development kit for new client projects. Sheesh.

In general, I'm feeling like a different person. I was browsing through some old photos from the beginning of the trip (in June) and hardly recognised the skinny dork in all the photos. It's amazing what a different diet and a loose gym routine can do.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home