meta - phorical / amphetamine

Stream of good chemicals, coursing through my veins, tickling my nerves.

Wednesday, February 01, 2006

Home

There's something to be said about a month away from your normal and routine-driven life. Spending 2 weeks with the feet up or not having to worry about doing the daily grind was a cleansing experience.

I put on 5 kilo's, caught a tan and opened my eyes. Now I'm struggling to remember.

Here's what I do remember though...

Home away from the house

Taking the bike down to Cape Town, in the back of the nDwagon turned out to be a good idea. One particular mountain biking trip came up trumps. Starting at the bottom of the Durbanville hills in a place called Magic Forest, we ascended amongst the vineyards. It was a tough climb, grinding in first gear. The weather was perfect for mountain biking, overcast with a slight breeze. I had to stop numerous times to get my breathe back, it had been ages since my last trip on the bike. The horizon unfolded infront of us as we reached the high-point, marked by a Trig Beacon. Getting off the bike and looking around was a totally surreal experience. The clouds were just high enough to see the expansive Kranseberg to the north-east, which we could see all the way from Franschoek to Gordon's bay in the South. Layers of saucer shaped clouds intersected the mountains, making them look larger than normal, as if their peaks prodded out from the clouds. We could clearly see Gordon's bay opening up before being obscured by another of the Durbanville Hills. Looking further to the right, we saw the top of Table Mountain jut out from the rolling hills, smothered in the table-cloth. The dull but streaked grey clouds above meant the colours came out more saturated, something that looked even better through the sunglasses. It was at about that time that I kicked myself for not bringing the camera. It's not everyday that the smog is in hiding and the clouds pay homage to the vista before you.

The trip back up to Jo'burg was very similar to the trip down. Only this time I spent the next morning on the north eastern side of Kimberley at the much nicer Road Lodge. That morning I woke up semi-early, had breakfast then went out on the mountain bike again. The Road Lodge overlooks a huge pan, which during certain times of the year is invaded by flocks of Flamingos. Taking the bike alongside the railway tracks in the blazing 10AM heat wasn't so fun, but being able to edge up to the water and see the Flamingos up close was worth every ounce of lost water. Returing to the hotel I was being circled by a Fish Eagle, its distinctive call breaking the monotony of the cicadas and finches. Bliss, and on a bike too.

Jo'bag, revisited

Being back in Jo'burg feels like I'm back in the same old routine. I don't like it. Friends make up for it though, it's been great to see the old buddies again. I think I've been spoilt by a great holiday in Cape Town and living in fancy hotels overseas.

Work here is proving more taxing than normal, mostly because of dealing with connection issues and work ethic.

Looks like I'm off to the UK for another work-related month, starting this Saturday. If I'm lucky, and my cards play as they should, I should be spending a week in Norway with my cousin Ingunn. Regardless, I'm just not in the right frame of mind this time for the UK. It feels like an empty or worthless chore this time, the novelty worn out just like a cheap lucky-packet prize loses it's appeal.

I want to say more, but now is just not the time. I want to escape. Anonymous and friendly comments keep me going. Thank you.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home