meta - phorical / amphetamine

Stream of good chemicals, coursing through my veins, tickling my nerves.

Monday, January 17, 2005

Watching the world whirl by...

Friday, such a long time ago, I purchased a new pair of entry-level fitness skates (inline skates or rollerblades). I forgot to get the body to go with it.

After trying out my brother's pair down in Cape Town, under the moonlight for many a night, I decided to get my own. I haven't laughed at myself in such a long time, slipping and sliding, often followed by falling on my arse or hands. Imagine a giraffe, ungainly, never trusting its own legs. Now give that giraffe two pairs of skates and push it down a hill. Heh, I must look like that.

This morning I packed my gear into the car and headed into work as usual. Then earlier this evening when most of the nerds had left, I whipped out the skates and proceeded to further my exploration in the field of balance and rhythym. iPod playing, smooth-as-a-baby's-backside-concrete-basement-floor whizzing underneath my fresh skates and not so fresh limbs. There is something to be said about the difference in skating when you're listening to hard-rock (like: A - Nothing) or some cheesy dramatic song (like: Air - Alone in Kyoto). Anyway, had fun burning it up and evading the staring lab-rats.

Feeling more confident about the skating, just the braking needs some work before I try new techniques :D

Rejection, in all its forms.

Hmm, bravery or stupidity makes me declare that I tried my hand at an online dating service. Heh. "Shaun, what would your mother say!". So yeah, I experimented. Contacted someone who's profile looked interesting, she's now hidden her profile. Then I contacted someone who's quite prominennt in the online scene. She's now modified her bio to say: "Please don't be mad if I don't reply..." and now accepts members of the same sex as potential dates. Heh.

Ladder Theory? Online?!? o.O Oh well, the experiement hasn't ended. I keep saying: "Hey, at least I don't fake that I'm christian to pick up chicks at Youth" like someone I know. One thing is true, I must look like a mad-humping-rabbit-type, just wanting to go down in the burrow with each and every furry-bun-bum I lay eyes on. I blame other men for that.

In unrelated news...

Manic Street Preachers have an old song called: Tsunami. Quite haunting, especially with the indo-asian instruments playing in the background.

For you my dear sister
Holding onto me forever
Disco dancing with the rapists
Your only crime is silence

Can't work at this anymore
Can't move I want to stay at home
Tied up to all these crutches
Never far from your hands

Tsunami tsunami came washing over me
Tsunami tsunami came washing over me
Can't speak, can't think, won't talk, won't walk

Doctors tell me that I'm cynical
I tell them that it must be chemical
So what am I doing girl
Cry into my drink I disappear

Eyes for teeth waving over me
Bring down the shadows of my mind
Sleep and breathe under our sheets
Inhale the anxiety in-between, in-between, in-between, in-between

Tsunami tsunami came washing over me
Tsunami tsunami came washing over me
Tsunami tsunami came washing over me
Tsunami tsunami came washing over me
Through September under the weather

In-between, in-between, in-between, in-between

Tsunami tsunami came washing over me
Tsunami tsunami came washing over me
Tsunami tsunami came washing over me
Tsunami tsunami came washing over me
Take the G.I's, I will have the spies

On the northern front...

Come end of Feb, if things go the right way, I'll be winging my way to Lisbon, Portugal. I'm already considering learning a tad porra :D Portugal is one of those places that I know nothing of, except for the fact that its almost slipping off the European continent or is regarded as the lost province of Spain.

Really looking forward to all the challenges it will present. A language barrier, travelling on my own, and best of all, getting some solid work done with total strangers. Can't wait to see what life is like there.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home