meta - phorical / amphetamine

Stream of good chemicals, coursing through my veins, tickling my nerves.

Friday, April 02, 2004

Appearance vs Cancer

So, today was shaveathon day, yesterday like a big deal I setup a pact with Carla that if she dyes her hair, or even better, attempts to shave it off I would do the same. Carla chickened out as I thought she would (for a shave that is), but it was still fun trying to instil some nerves :) So, I went along and similarly copped out and got a number 2, to at least give my scalp some sunshine for a week or so. Next week, its coming off! Oh, that reminds me, I'm not here next week! \o/ Back to the subject at hand, Many guys were getting their pips scoured, so they were really getting into the spirit of things, but I couldn't help but think how many of the people were truly doing it for Cancer... Thats my curse.

Carla and I had a one-sided chat on the image thing, How many girls can really say they can shave their heads and not feel anything? How many guys for that matter? I was worried about the image thing in my own instance. Why do we have to conform to a social template? What or who engineered this social template? I think hollywood has its part to play in many social aspects, such as image, relationships, style. Are we doomed to die as Narcissus? "One day Narcissus fell in love with his own reflection in a spring and, in desperation, killed himself."

Tomorrow, pay R50 for a good cause, and a bad haircut. :)

My scheduled lack of appearance

Quite the schedule for a home-boi, Sunday morning, mission off to a private game farm in Lydenburg owned by Roxanne's (Dave's girlfriend) family. (... garden-boy's-ex-lover's-dogwalker ...), return Thursday, only to get onto a Durban bound plane early on Friday for the weekend-long wedding of a distant family friend, then crawl back into the office on Monday afternoon. Phew.

The game farm is gonna rock, Just about 8 or so of us, a well-stocked holiday retreat, starry skies. I've been missing doing such things, As a kid we always used to be in the bush, in touch with Nature. (No, not like uDu style :P) I used to be a keen bird-watcher, feathered variety too, but you kinda get bored of these dodgy Indian Myna's in urban life. Taking the bike, hiking shoes and floppy hat along too, can't wait to hit some jeep trails! Thankfully / Unfortunately the game farm doesn't have any obnoxiously dangerous animals, which means daywalks are allowed unguided - just gotta watch out for them leopards.

The Wedding is going to be another saga on its own. I hate churches. I like the philosopy that is religion, but you won't catch me being one of the sheep, err, lambs. I haven't seen Debby for ages, I just hope her fiance isn't a total jock, she's always deserved better than beer-slugging rugby-watching womanisers. Anyway, going with my Mom, which will be kewl, haven't seen her for 3 months. :/ So yeah, I'll be there, watching another union. Just as much as I hate churches, I think marriage is just as useless. Well, thats my dad's fault, say no more.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home